At the request of the Lower Mainland Consolidated Customer Service Committee, instructors and students will only be required to have Vancouver Coastal Health Photo Identification in certain areas.
Instructors and students will be expected to wear their school identification, preferably ID with a photo, with the exception of nursing school programs preparing RNs, LPNs, RPNs who have placements in Coastal sites (Lions Gate Hospital, Sea to sky corridor, Powell River, etc.) and need access to medication carts.
If a student already has a photo ID issued from one of the four health authorities (Fraser Health, Provincial Health Services, Providence Health Care, or Vancouver Coastal Health) the card can be used and programmed at all four health authorities. The student can keep and use the card until they graduate from their program. Once they have graduated from the program, the card is to be returned to the Lower Mainland Integrated Protection Services.
There will be generic cards available on the units for students requiring access to locked areas.
Lions Gate Hospital
- Nursing school instructors/coordinators are now able to email VCH Photo ID with the PHOTO IDENTIFICATION REQUEST APPLICATION form along with the school's electronic picture for any student going to Lions Gate Hospital where medication cart access is needed.
- How do I take my own photo? Photo ID (PID) Self-pic Cheat Sheet
- The Manager does not need to give authorization for students.
- Photos will be sent to the Photo ID Processing Centre, where the Photo ID cards will be produced and returned to Security or Site Administration at the practicum location.
- Completed ID's can be picked up 10 business days (Monday to Friday) after the application was submitted.
- Student must produce a piece of government issued photo ID (Driver’s License, Passport, Citizenship Card, etc.) to confirm identity. School issued Student ID is not a sufficient form of identification
Once the instructor/students obtains their Photo ID, instructors email the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Instructor name and school
- Student’s name
- First 6 digits on the back of the Photo ID
- Start and end dates of placement
It is asked that this is done at least 2 weeks in advance to guarantee access to medication dispensing systems when the instructors and students arrive on site.
Generic cards for the medication carts are available for daily sign out from switchboard while the students are waiting for their Photo ID. To be authorized to sign them out, instructors should email Barb Ferreira at Barb.Ferreira@vch.ca from their school email address to request being put on the list.
Lions Gate Hospital Medication Cart Units
- 2 East Cardiac
- 3 East Pediatrics
- 3 West Lab/Del
- 4 East Acute Medicine
- 4 West Sub Acute
- 5 East Rehabilitation
- 6 East General Surgery
- 6 West Ortho
- 7 East Neuro
- 7 West Palliative
Powell River General Hospital
- Photos are taken on a per request basis and cards can be picked up at the Paladin Office located beside the Emergency Department
- We encourage you to call ahead to Paladin Security at the site at 604-677-3734 to see if they are available to take a photo
Sechelt Hospital and Sunshine Coast
- Photos are taken on a per request basis and cards can be picked up at the Paladin Office located beside the Emergency Department at Sechelt Hospital, 5544 Sunshine Coast Highway.
- We encourage you to call ahead to Paladin Security at the site at 604-885-2224, local 4777 to see if they are available to take a photo
Squamish General Hospital
- Photos are taken and cards can be picked up at Administration Office, Squamish General Hospital, 38140 Behrner Drive.
- Hours of Operation for Photo Capture and Photo ID Pick Up
- Monday to Wednesday 0830 – 1630
- Thursday & Friday 0900 – 1430
- Excluding Statutory Holidays