Skip to main content

Placement Process

If you are affiliated with a school or agency with a placing coordinator, then we ask that requests originate from that institution, rather than from individual students.

A signed affiliation agreement between the school and Vancouver Coastal Health is required before a placement request can be confirmed. Please contact us to see if an affiliation agreement has been signed. 

How do I request a placement at VCH?
Have your placing coordinator at your academic institution contact us my email to VCH Placements.  Please do not contact a unit or staff member directly to inquire about placements opportunities; doing so will only delay the time it takes for your request to be processed.

Are there alternate observational experiences available?
There are times in a clinical experience where a student may wish to have additional or alternative observational experiences to their primary placement. There are a number of locations that are open to students coming for short periods of time to observe the service or program. In general, we ask that these experiences be requested as part of the primary placement request. When planning and requesting these experiences, please consider the impact that the alternate observational experience may have on the staff in that area and on the placement of other students. If you would like to arrange an additional observational experience and did not do so with the initial placement request, please have your school placing coordinator contact us by email to VCH Placements.

What if I am not currently enrolled in a program but would like to do an observation or job shadow at VCH?
Vancouver Coastal Health does not offer any shadow or practicum placements on our own.  You must be currently enrolled in a post secondary institution with the school sponsoring and insuring the student.

Do I need liability & accident insurance?
All students and faculty engaged in clinical or practice education experiences with VCH must maintain 3rd party liability insurance as well as accident insurance. This insurance must be in place prior to the start of your placement.

SOURCE: Placement Process ( )
Page printed: . Unofficial document if printed. Please refer to SOURCE for latest information.

Copyright © Provincial Health Services Authority. All Rights Reserved.